Belur Math, Calcutta, West Bengal
Belur Math is located at the banks of the Hooghly river, it spreads the message of Vedanta philosophy. Belur Math was founded by Swami Vivekananda, a great philosopher and disciple of Sri Ramakrishna Parmahansa, an enlightened soul.
The Belur Math was founded by Swami Vivekananda in the early 19th century, soon after his return from the west it was expanded. The intention of establishing such residence was to promote Vedanta philosophy to students who can become sanyasins and carry the Sri Ramakrishna mission ahead not only that but it was also established to carry out philanthropic activities.
The main buildings over here are the:
1. Sri Ramakrishna Temple – Famous for its architectural design, the design was of Swami Vivekananda. The temple has many mini towers whose design emphasizes various religions.
2. Old Shrine- It was the first old building in the premises
3. Swami Vivekananda personal room – This is the room where Swami Vivekananda lived.The articles used by Swami Vivekananda are on display here.
4. Swami Brahmananda Temple – disciple of Sri Ramakrishna
5. Holy Mother Temple – Temple dedicated to mother Sri Sharada Devi, the spiritual consort of Sri Ramakrishna
6. Swami Vivekananda Temple – The temple is constructed on the place where Swami Vivekananda wascremated
7. Samadhi Enclosure – The ground where the sixteen direct disciples of Sri Ramakrishna were cremated
8. Ramakrishna Museum – Has exhibits of articles used by Swami Vivekanada, Sri Sharada Devi and the direct disciples of Sri Ramakrishna
Within Calcutta, one can reach this place by a public commuting option like metro, nearest metro station “Dum Dum”.
08:30 AM to 11:30 AM (Mornings)
04:00 PM to 07:00 PM (Evenings Apr – Sep)
03:30 PM to 06:00 PM (Evenings Oct – Mar)
Mondays, Public Holidays, Guru Purnima, Durga Puja, Saraswati Puja & Dol Purnima
POPULAR EVENTS ADD EVENTS +
Write Your Comments:
Word verification - Type the characters you see in the picture below